Alexander Calder (b. 1898, Lawnton, Pennsylvania; d. 1976, New York) is one of the most acclaimed and influential sculptors of the twentieth century. He is renowned for the invention of the mobile, a kinetic construction of suspended abstract elements that describe individual movements, moving and balancing in changing harmony. Calder also devoted himself to making outdoor sculpture on a grand scale from bolted sheets of steel, many of which stand in public plazas in cities throughout the world. Pace Gallery has worked closely with the Calder estate since 1984.
24 June – 26 October 2013
Pace presents the first-ever outdoor exhibition of Calder’s monumental works at Sudeley Castle
Following the success of Calder After the War, presented at 6 Burlington Gardens, Pace is pleased to present Calder at the Castle, the first-ever outdoor exhibition of monumental works by the artist in the UK. The exhibition will be on view at Sudeley Castle from 24 June to 26 October 2013. Calder at the Castle will feature six monumental sculptures installed throughout the castle’s gardens, and is made possible with the collaboration of the Calder Foundation, New York.
From 1950 to 1970, Calder’s oeuvre took on a monumental dimension as his focus diverted to the creation of large-scale sculptures. Meanwhile, the post-war economic boom inspired corporations and government agencies around the world to commission large-scale works. Calder’s already established international success made him one of the most soughtafter artists for such projects, presenting abstract yet modern site-specific works.
This exhibition, curated to interact with Sudeley Castle’s grounds, will include the elegant standing mobile 3 flèches blanches (1965), first presented to the public during Calder’s major retrospective at the Palazzo a Vela, Turin, in 1983. Featuring black and white elements, the work is a structure of delicacy, balance, and movement.
Trépied rouge et noir (1972) features a combination of lines and planes. Balance is obtained through sheets of metal that form a tripod and render the sculpture static, while the one-dimensional lines of the wire interact to produce movement. The stout base and the subtle movements of the floating coloured-shapes hanging from above demonstrate Calder’s imagination and sense of harmony.
Over nine feet tall and made of sheet metal, the red, blue, and black stabile Le Chien en trois couleurs (1973), which was most recently on display at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice, stands on three impressive legs. The sharp angles and planes of metal pronounce themselves fully in the air and conjure the abstract form of a proud little dog. Other highlights include 4 Planes in Space (c. 1955).
Brontosaurus (1970) is an example of an abstract form whose name lends a figurative interpretation, while Calder’s whimsical humour is evident in Untitled (Giant Critter) (1976) as the surrealistic figure painted in red holds out its arms and gives the impression of struggling to find its balance on two legs and what appears to be a large tail.
It is only in recent decades that outdoor exhibitions dedicated solely to Calder’s monumental works have been presented. A few of them include Alexander Calder in New York (Organised by Public Art Fund at City Hall Park, 2006–2007); Calders on the Parkway (Organised by the Philadelphia Museum of Art, 2004–2006); Grand Intuitions: Calder’s Monumental Sculpture (Storm King, Mountainville, NY, 2003); Alexander Calder: Five Grand Stabiles (Storm King, Mountainville, NY, 1988–1998); and, outside of the US, Les Monuments de Calder, 1992 at La Défense et Galerie Art 4, Paris, which then travelled to Kunst-und Ausstellungshalle, Bonn.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Alexander Calder (1898–1976) is one of the most acclaimed and influential sculptors of the twentieth century. Renowned for his invention of the mobile, a kinetic construction of suspended abstract elements that describe individual movements in changing harmony, Calder also devoted himself to making outdoor sculpture on a grand scale from bolted steel plate, many of which stand in public plazas in cities throughout the world. Calder’s wide body of work includes paintings, drawings, prints, book illustrations, jewellery, tapestries, and costumes and set designs for ballets and theatrical productions.
Born in Pennsylvania to a family of artists, Calder received an engineering degree from Stevens Institute of Technology in 1919 and moved to New York to enroll at the Art Students League in 1923. In 1926 he travelled to Paris, where he would periodically live and work until 1933, and where he created his fabled Cirque Calder (1926–31). After visiting Piet Mondrian’s studio in 1930, Calder began experimenting with abstract constructions, exhibiting his first non-objective works in 1931. The following year he showed handcranked and motorised mobiles, marking the beginning of his development as a leading exponent of kinetic art. Calder remained committed to abstraction during the 1930s and introduced biomorphic forms into his kinetic sculptures, synthesising Constructivist methods and materials with abstract forms that recall Surrealist imagery. In subsequent years he refined his wind-driven mobiles, producing elegant, spaceencompassing abstractions of gracefully bending wires. In the 1950s he began producing large numbers of stabiles—large-scale constructions made from cut and painted metal sheets—and simultaneously explored forms such as Towers (wall-based wire constructions with moving elements) and Gongs (soundproducing metal pieces). During the 1960s and 1970s, Calder created colossal stabiles for public sites around the world, installing works of 45 feet and higher in many American and European cities.
Alexander Calder has been the subject of dozens of exhibitions at museums worldwide, including retrospectives at the Museum of Modern Art (1943), Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (1964), Whitney Museum of American Art (1976), and National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. (1998), as well as major exhibitions at museums including Museo Guggenheim Bilbao; The Art Institute of Chicago; the Centre Pompidou, Musée national d’Art Moderne, Paris; The Detroit Institute of Art; Foundation Beyeler, Riehen, Switzerland; Kunsthalle Basel; The Menil Collection, Houston; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago; Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; The Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C.; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; and Walker Art Center, Minneapolis. In 2011 his monumental standing mobile Horizontal (1974) was permanently installed in front of the Centre Pompidou in Paris. Calder’s work is in the collection of nearly every major public art institution in the United States and abroad.
The exhibition is presented with the collaboration of the Calder Foundation, New York, a non-profit organisation founded in 1987 dedicated to collecting, exhibiting, preserving and interpreting the art and archives of Alexander Calder and charged with an unmatched collection of his works. The Foundation’s projects include collaborating on exhibitions and publications, organising and maintaining the Calder archives, examining works attributed to Calder, and cataloguing the artist’s works.
Pace is a leading contemporary art gallery representing many of the most significant international artists and estates of the 20th and 21st centuries. Founded by Arne Glimcher in Boston in 1960 and led by Marc Glimcher, Pace has been a constant, vital force in the art world and has introduced many renowned artists’ work to the public for the first time. Pace has mounted more than 700 exhibitions, including scholarly exhibitions that have subsequently travelled to museums, and published nearly 400 exhibition catalogues. Today Pace has seven locations worldwide: four in New York; two in London; and one in Beijing. Pace London inaugurated its flagship gallery at 6 Burlington Gardens with the exhibition Rothko/Sugimoto: Dark Paintings and Seascapes in the fall of 2012.
Pace London at 6 Burlington Gardens is open to the public from Monday to Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. www.pacegallery.com/
The history of Sudeley Castle and its award-winning gardens spans over a thousand years and contains many varied tales of royal associations, wars and periods of neglect and subsequent restoration. The owners of the castle have included kings and queens spanning over a thousand years and it is the final resting place of Katherine Parr, the last wife of Henry VIII and the only English Queen to be buried in private grounds. There are also close associations with Shakespeare’s scheming hunchback Richard III, and Charles I, whose execution by Parliament marked the end of absolute monarchy.
Sudeley’s glorious gardens are amongst the very best in England, from the centrepiece Queens' Garden, billowing with hundreds of varieties of old fashioned roses, to the Herbal Healing Garden. The renowned garden designer Sir Roddy Llewellyn is working closely with Lady Ashcombe to develop the continuing evolution of Sudeley's gardens.
The Castle has changed hands over a dozen times during its history and today it is the private home of Lord and Lady Ashcombe, Henry and Mollie Dent-Brocklehurst and their families.
Sudeley Castle, Winchcombe, Cheltenham GL54 5JD
For press inquiries, please contact:
London: Nicolas Smirnoff, email@example.com / +44 203 206 7613
New York: Madeline Lieberberg, firstname.lastname@example.org / +1 212 421 8987
Calder at the Castle, features six monumental sculptures installed in Sudeley Castle’s garden, and is made possible with the collaboration of the Calder Foundation. A video of the opening featuring a tour with Alexander S.C. Rower, President of the Calder Foundation and Alexander Calder’s grandson, and Marc Glimcher, President of Pace is available here. Calder at the Castle is on view at Sudeley Castle until 26 October 2013.
Pace is pleased to present Calder at the Castle, the first-ever outdoor exhibition of monumental works by Alexander Calder in England, at Sudeley Castle. The exhibition is view on until 26 October 2013. Calder at the Castle features six monumental sculptures installed in the Castle’s garden, and is made possible with the collaboration of the Calder Foundation. Alexander Calder (1898–1976) is one of the most acclaimed and influential sculptors of the twentieth century. Renowned for his inventi